Top 10 Classic American Road Trips
It’s never too late for a classic American road trip. From the beaches of Big Sur to the famous Route 66, TravelKatz has rounded up 10 classic road trip itineraries to share:
- Badlands National Park: A short 2-day trip through Badlands National Park to Mount Rushmore offers the chance to take in the rock formations of the Badlands Wall, the view from the Big Badlands Overlook, a hike along the scenic Notch Trail and the Badlands Loop Scenic Byway, said to be one of the most recognizable scenic byways in America.
- The Road to Hana: Explore the island of Maui in Hawaii, from Twin Falls to the Kaumahina State Wayside Park on the North Coast. There’s also a chance to explore the Wai’anapanapa State Park, rich in history and legend, and the end of the road at Hana Town. Recommended 4 days.
- New York City to Niagara: Take in the American countryside that starts and ends in New York City. The route travels through an authentic Amish Village in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and stops at Niagara Falls, which travelers can see by either boat or helicopter. Other stops include Toronto and Boston. Recommended 11 driving days and carry an up-to-date passport.
- San Juan Skyway: Journey across America’s Wild West with stops in historic Durango, Mesa Verde National Park – home to the cliff dwellings of the Anasazi, Lizard Head Peak Vista Outlook and Red Mountain Pass. Recommended 10 days.
- Columbia River Gorge: Take in all Oregon has to offer with this recommended 6-day trip that stops at the Portland Women’s Forum State Scenic Viewpoint, 5 waterfalls, the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail and the Rowena Loops, which you may recognize from a great many car commercials.
- Ocean Drive: Perfect for beach lovers, this 5-day trip through Oregon coastal towns stops at Seaside, Cannon Beach, Yachats and Newport, which is home to whale watching tours, fishing and crabbing.
- Highway 61: Music lovers will enjoy this 12-day trip up the Blues Highway, starting in New Orleans and continuing through Clarksdale, MS; Graceland in Memphis; ending up in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Route 66: A classic 29- day tour of America’s “Mother Road” starts in Chicago and continues through Albuquerque with stops at the Grand Canyon before ending in Los Angeles.
- Big Sur: Drive through some of California’s most picturesque coastal areas on Highway 1, with stops at the Hearst Castle, Santa Barbara, Malibu and Los Angeles. Recommended 4 days.
- The Pan-American Highway: Taking a recommended 281 days to complete, this tour of the world’s longest driving route will take travelers from the Arctic to the Antarctic with a short break in the road at the rainforest area of the Darien Gap. Key stops include Vancouver, San Diego, Mexico City, San Antonio, Lima and Santiago.
TravelKatz can book your hotels, schedule flights to and from each destination, and book rental cars for these very special road trips. If you are timid about leaving this beautiful country on vacation…stay here and discover America! Call us at 352-277-7300 to make your plans!