AMSTERDAM TO BASEL – Captivating Rhine Cruise
Have you ever wondered what your ancestors’ lives were like in Europe at the turn of the century? Or have you imagined how it would feel to follow in their footsteps, walking the same paths they did in your ancestral village? Now you can experience a deeply meaningful connection with your personal heritage while enjoying the enriching and exclusive experiences only a river cruise provides. A history-making partnership, Ancestry® and AmaWaterways are combining our shared passions for family, heritage, and travel to offer guests the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to uncover their family history while cruising along Europe’s legendary rivers.
DISCOVER YOUR FAMILY STORY ON ONE OF THREE EUROPEAN RIVER CRUISES
Join Ancestry® and AmaWaterways as we travel on one of three enriching Heritage on the River: Your Personalized Ancestry Experience journeys together. Sail along Europe’s fairytale Rhine River through the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France and Switzerland July 30, 2022, or November 2, 2023. Or discover grand capitals and history-rich villages from Nuremberg, Germany to Budapest, Hungary on the Legendary Danube, departing June 17, 2023.
ENJOY A PERSONALIZED EXPERIENCE
Your journey begins with expert family history research that meets you wherever you are in your individual ancestry exploration, whether you are just starting out or you’ve already traced your family tree back multiple generations. Your discoveries continue with a professional genealogist who accompanies you throughout your river cruise. Uncover the most authentic and enriching experiences ashore with specially curated included excursions led by knowledgeable local guides. Together, your genealogist and guides will help you more fully understand your personal links to the beautiful regions you’re traveling through as you follow in your ancestors’ footsteps.
What’s Included with AncestryProGenealogists®
- Complimentary Ancestry DNA® Kit sent prior to your river cruise
- Pre-journey welcome call, plus a 5-hour consultation and introductory research with your expert genealogist as well as a summary of their findings
- The services of an expert genealogist throughout your entire river cruise experience
- Two historical and genealogical presentations on board
- One private consultation to review your family tree on board
- Exclusive Ancestry excursion with your genealogist to the historic Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp, Belgium for Captivating Rhine sailings; exclusive Ancestry enhancements to Budapest and Vienna city tours on Legendary Danube sailing
- One hosted lunch or dinner with the genealogist
- The opportunity to accompany your genealogist on select AmaWaterways excursions
- Optional add-ons including an Ancestral Home Visit and additional genealogical research are also available (fees apply).
ANCESTRY EXPERIENCE Overview
Heritage on the River – July 30 – August 6, 2022
A 7-night journey on the Rhine, Amsterdam to Basel (Captivating Rhine) aboard AmaStella
Optional 2-night in Amsterdam pre-cruise and/or 4-night in Switzerland (Lucerne and Zurich) post-cruise
On our river cruises, you will enjoy an extensive lineup of included tours. In many cases, you will have a choice of excursions and tours. We always include a large variety of activities so that you can choose how you want to explore. No matter your preference, your days will be full of discovery and wonder.
Ancestry® and AmaWaterways
Balcony Staterooms from $6,198 per person
Riverview Staterooms from $5,399 per person
AMSTERDAM TO BASEL – Captivating Rhine Cruise
DAY 1 & 2 – EMBARKATION – AMSTERDAM – ANTWERP, AMSTERDAM– UTRECHT
“In the Footsteps of Our Ancestors” – Depart Amsterdam and arrive in Antwerp at its historic train station. For many who immigrated to the New World, this is where their story began, and your genealogist will bring that history to life in this grand hub. You and your genealogist will have a unique experience at the Red Star Line Museum, considered Europe’s counterpart to Ellis Island. There you will follow in the footsteps of your ancestors, as they embarked Red Star Line Ocean liners in Antwerp between 1873 and 1934 on their way to North America. Walk the same streets and entryway – your ancestors walked in this fascinating location. This excursion includes time for you to personally search the Red Star Line’s database for ship manifests that may uncover the names of your relatives. Then transfer to Utrecht where you will reboard the ship.
DAY 3 – COLOGNE
“Holy City” walking tour and cathedral visit, or Cologne bike tour – Enjoy cruising to Cologne. Join a guided tour through the Old Town and explore the UNESCO-designated Cologne Cathedral, one of Germany’s most revered Gothic masterpieces. Continue to the Cologne Rathaus, Germany’s oldest town hall, plus see other local sights. For a different view, have a local only made in Cologne potato pancakes typically served with applesauce. Active adventurists will want to join a guided bike ride along the Rhine.
DAY 4 – RHINE GORGE
Castles along the Rhine scenic cruising, wine tasting, Gondola ride, a Guided hike, a Guided bike tour, Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Museum, or a Coffee Tour. Cruise through the captivating UNESCO-designated Rhine Gorge, the most stunningly beautiful stretch of the river before reaching the town of Rüdesheim. Drink up the stunning views by soaring high above the vineyards with a gondola ride. For a more active adventure, hike through the town’s beautiful vineyards or join a guided bike tour along the scenic Rhine River. Later in the day, let Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum charm you with its remarkable collection of self-playing instruments; or taste one of the town’s special delights, coffee, ceremoniously made with coffee, and whipped cream.
DAY 5 – LUDWIGSHAFEN
“Romantic Heidelberg” excursion, “Secrets of Speyer” tour, Heidelberg Philosopher’s hike, or Ladenburg bike tour. Ludwigshafen is your gateway to a choice of three excursions. Visit Heidelberg, the perfectly preserved medieval city nestled in the Neckar River Valley along Germany’s Castle Road. Discover the iconic sandstone Heidelberg Castle. For a more active adventure while in Heidelberg, join a guided hike up the Philosopher’s Path, aptly named during the Romantic Period, and enjoy panoramic views of the city. Alternatively, you can visit one of Germany’s oldest cities, Speyer, known for the largest Romanesque cathedral in Europe—a UNESCO World Heritage Site—and the medieval Old Gate. Or join a guided bike tour along the shores of the river Neckar and enjoy a cycling break to explore the picturesque medieval town of Ladenburg.
DAY 6 – STRASBOURG
“The Gem of Alsace” tour, or Strasbourg bike tour. Strasbourg offers flavors of both France and Germany because of its borderline location. Enjoy a panoramic tour past the stunning European Parliament and the Place de la République before walking through its iconic “La Petite France” district, lifted straight from the pages of a fairytale. Wander through charming streets past the Cathédrale de Notre Dame with its famous astronomical clock. Alternatively, take a guided bike ride through the city.
DAY 7 – BREISACH
Walking tour, Freiburg excursion, Black Forest excursion, or a country bike tour. Breisach is your gateway to several different excursions. Step back in time with a visit to an enchanting town, which looks almost the same as it did in the 16th century. On your walking tour, admire historic architecture and famous sights, such as the Dolder Gate. Alternatively, head to Freiburg, founded in 1120 and home to the Freiburg’s Münster, a Gothic cathedral said to have “the most beautiful spire on earth.” If you want a more active excursion, cycle through the countryside, or hike in the Black Forest, a magical land full of cultural traditions. *Please Note: Black Forest Hike is weather dependent and may only operate at certain times of year.
DAY 8 – BASEL
DISEMBARKATION – After breakfast, bid farewell to Switzerland and prepare for your return flight home.
In addition to the Heritage on the River: Your Personalized Ancestry Experience Package, the cruise includes:
- Luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Computer and Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access,
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area, bottled water replenished daily
AN ARRAY OF AMENITIES
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host, fitness room, massage services, and salon
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar, walking track, Main Lounge with panoramic views
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues – breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant, Welcome Dinner, and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Unlimited beverages with breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks, and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
A WORLD OF EXPLORATION
- Immersive tours in every destination, Special Interest Tours, Bike tours and hikes
- Gentle, regular, active, and late-riser tour options
- Knowledgeable guides, Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Ancestry specific excursion exclusive to this sailing (the Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp)
THE SHIP – AmaStella
This 156-passenger vessel boasts spacious staterooms with our exclusive Twin Balconies, a choice of dining venues, a heated pool with swim-up bar, complimentary Wi-Fi on board and more.
Give TravelKatz a call at 352-277-7300 to find out more. There are always specials for your air flights, so ask about those, too.